Tuesday, October 29, 2013

John M Cannon Funeral Remarks by Joseph F Smith

Edited Remarks of President Joseph F. Smith
At the funeral of John M. Cannon


I have known him (John M. Cannon) more or less intimately for 40 years – in the days of his youth - very intimacy in later years.  I have been closely associated with him in business matters in connection with President George Q. Cannon and others.

I bear my testimony absolutely to what has been said with reference to him.  It was said by one of old, “let him who would be the greatest among you be the servant of all.“ I think that brother John exemplified that saying wonderfully, with this wonderful part added to the saying of the savior, that he had no aim or desire to become the greatest among man.  His greatness and his goodness and purity of character sprung from the innate worth and goodness of his soul, I believe.

I have seen him a placed in extremely embarrassing conditions financially.  I have witnessed tasks placed upon him by those who had the right to advise and counsel that very few men, if there was any man, that would have had the courage to undertake and carry out as brother John M. Cannon did.

He never shirked the duty.  He never shrunk from any request made of him by his superior officer. 

When I heard of his departure, I felt in my heart as though a burden had fallen upon my soul.  What will we do for another like him?  Where will we find another as diligent, willing, capable, and worthy as he?

No man that I know of was more worthy to go beyond then he.  I do not know of any of my acquaintance that had gone beyond, except my children and close relatives, that I would be more pleased to meet on the other side than brother John M. Cannon

I wanted to say to Sister Cannon.  “God bless you.  You have A noble soul.  You have been a helpmate to him.  May the mothers and the children follow in the footsteps of their honored head.  May the children honor every act of their father.  May they be worthy the two meet him on the other side and say, “You gave me the example of my life, I am glad to meet you and look you in the eyes and say that I have lived up to your example?  May this be the lot of the children of John M. Cannon, I humbly prayed in the name of Jesus Christ, amen

No comments:

Post a Comment