Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Letter from George Cannon the "Immigrant" in Liverpool to sister Leonora Cannon Taylor in Nauvoo

After being ordained an Apostle, Elder John Taylor was called to perform a mission in England, and preceded for there in company with Elder Wilford Woodruff in the late autumn of 1839.  He bore a letter of introduction from his wife, Leonora Cannon Taylor, to her brother and sister-i- law in Liverpool and to other relatives in the Isle of Man.  He arrived in Liverpool early in January, 1840, and called at the Cannon home and made himself known to her brother, George and his wife, Ann.

 

The following is a letter from George Cannon ”The Immigrant” to Leonora Cannon Taylor in Nauvoo, Hancock County, Illinois, United States dated 15 October 1840 from Liverpool.

Dear Sister:

I bless the lord that ever I ever saw your husband’s face and I now see plainly our dear Mother’s prayers has not only been answered for you, but has extended to me and my family through you.  For if my dear brother had not come to live with me (so much was I prejudiced against the various sects and parties warring against each other) I should never, I fear, have embraced the gospel in its fullness, as it was.  I tried to consider it another new sect added to the number that wrest the work of God to their own purposes – but faith, comes by hearing and of His infinite mercy He showed me that I was poor and miserable and blind.  Ann was a believer from the first time of her hearing their testimony.  We entered by the door into the sheepfold and George, Mary Alice and poor Anny has been baptized since. You will be tired dear sister with so much of myself and family - but I am a wonder to myself and see the hand of the Lord so visible in all that has happened to me these last four years that I cannot help telling you of it. I left off drink at that time and have drank nothing stronger than coffee since.  This was principally on my children's account, as I knew example was better than precept - and with all my faults I love my children.  I was happy in an affectionate wife, promising children, good health, plenty of work and always with a pound to spare.  But still there was a want of something which made me very low spirited at times.  I strode to pray and to return God thanks for his mercies particularly after some escape from danger of myself and family in the month of September last.  My poor John died of a brain fever - dear Nora.  I shall never forget that boy. He was three years and a half old, the countenance of brother John particularly about the mouth but his eyes were black, but such a boy - well I shall see him yet-My hard heart was softened with the death of this child when Brother Taylor came to Liverpool I was humbled before the Lord and sincerely desirous to lead a new life.  He had the words whereby I might be saved and though slow of belief at first and not seeing the necessity of Baptism yet God, of his infinite mercy, opened my eyes. 

October 23rd Dear  Leonora.  I had just read your letter over which came by the postman when the I received your other second letter letter by Brother Snow –he landed last night after a six weeks passage in good health . Your dear husband is in the Isle of Man with Brother Clarke. They went there the 16th of September. He is well and doing well.  Brother Clarke came to conference but brother T. could not come as he had to answer some of their pious men.  He says the harvest is ripe there and they have only to put in the sickle.  Brother T. has sent me some Manx papers.  I have forwarded two to you of different dates, one to Brother Joseph one to Brother S.  Rigdon and one to Mrs. Smith and Robertson.  I cannot get your letters sent to Brother until Monday as the packet only sails twice a week, and I received them two hours too late.   Dear sister, I am grieved to hear you have been ill and your dear little ones.  I have felt a great deal for your situation and know that nothing but the Lord’s work could keep your husband from you, but I have a belief that I shall see you yet in this life.  Brother T. had wished in one of his letters from the Island that I would write to you, as he was so occupied. he had not a moment to spare he says.

I find Mr. Clark is a Methodist. -------- Miss Brannon I have not called on.  I find it here as in other places those that are very pious do not need anything.  He has a room over the market in Douglas that will hold 1,000 people and has only to give out a meeting to have it filled.  He has all kinds hearing him, big and little friends and foes, holy people and ungodly - you will see by the papers that he has many to oppose him but truth will stand without propping they all go to the ground.  There has been a good many baptized  and many at the edge of the water.  Dear sister I know this will give you pleasure.

November the fourth I have just received a line from Brother Taylor it is only a line saying that  he is well and three newspapers which I forward (to you,  Br. Joseph Smith and brother Sidney Rigdon).  I think by this time some of the Methodists begin to find their craft in danger.  Miss Brannan  has sent to B.T. for two books she lent you and he has bought them for her – so you may guess how she feels.  There never was such an excitement in the Island before, the people begin to have their eyes and ears opened to the truth and wonder they did not see these things before.  He has not mentioned receiving your letters—and I waited expecting some word to send you.  Perhaps I may get some before I send this. Dear Sister you are anxious to have all the news about  us .
In the first place Br. T is comfortable in the Island, he has a comfortable little sitting room and bed room with a Mr Cowill-  and he says he has many warm friends there.

Sister Elinor is in service in St. Georges square.  She has two children living Boys, one by the first husband he is with his friends in Stafford Shire and one by the second husband  3 years old he is at nurse.  She is well and will have another husband before long or I am mistaken.

  I have had a letter from David and one from John last march.  They were both well when they wrote.  David is in Sydney and doing well.  John is in Port Phillip and is getting a small vessel between himself and a carpenter poor John is going to make a fortune directly.  He always counts the chickens before they are hatched.  He wishes we were out there with him. - joiners wage is 14 shillings a day.  
 We have seven children living – George 14 years next 11th Jan. Mary Alice 9th Dec next, Ann 9 years 2nd Jan. next –Angus 6 years 17th May last-John born 3 March and died 13th Sepbr 1839 – David born 23d April 1838- uncle calls him the Squinter Boy.- He squints badly – poor fellow- and Leonora born 11th Sept  1840 – a fine little baby – we are all well at present and am going to make winkers to put on David’s  eyes to cure him of squinting.
Mary Alice learned him two squint after he was nine months old.
Aunt Corkill is dead and Thomas Corkill died sometime before her, Unkle Corkill is in the preventive service in Bangor in Ireland-Aunt Corkill died in Ireland – Ann is grown a fine young woman-Unkle Kaighin is dead five years – and Aunt Kaighin died last June very soon after her sister-You  have heard of Pebby’s death – all the children are married but Lenny John married a daughter of Quaggin the Millers in Peel and they lived with the old man-they could not agree – and John sold Unkle Mylehreests place – which so angered the old man that he sold his own place to Michell Oates for twenty pounds a year while he lives – he is likely to live many years  but is troubled  with pains – Lenny was out here about  4 months since, -- they are a queer  squad although she says ….the thoughtful fellow – her father may live a hundred years. I have just heard of Mr. Ratcliffs death he was …. Popular man in Liverpool and had three or four hundred for different offices which he held in Bible Societies and other  religious institutions – you husband called on him and preached the Gospel to him he did not deny anything but said these are tremendous conclusions then we must be all wrong – Bro. T said he did not condemn anyone it was the everlasting Gospel he preached-Miss Brannan came to Liverpool she did not come to our house but sent for Br T to Mr Ratcliffs they had a long discourse in presence of Mr.R when about  to leave them he asked Mrs B. if he should call on her in the Island as he meant to visit it she said if he preached like other men she would be happy to see him but hoped hoped he would not come to the Island to preach what he  preached to her – She told Henry wife (Miss Calliste; that was )– that she cried and prayed greatly to the Lord that he might  shew him the error of his ways – Mrs Gill and her sister both attended our meetings before Miss Brannan came to Liverpool – she is much blinded and opposed to the truth – I have just received 6th Nov. another line from Br. Taylor he has got your letters and will be here the beginning of next week and will write you a letter himself, dear sister you may expect a number of the saints from Liverpool in spring – if it is the Lords will I am ready to go any time and I have as much money as will take me there and perhaps a little to spare – you have never mentioned what sort of a country it is or how  people are employed there- how land is sold whether it is a good fishing or fowling country write me a letter soon as you receive this Ann and the children send their kind love to you and their little cousins I remain your loving brother George Cannon.
More items written in the margins:
Dear sister, remember us in your prayers to the throne of grace as we do you and yours.  I think I could talk to you for days without being satisfied. I have so much to say and to ask. And may God of his infinite mercy help to protect you and yours
Please to let us know what is the most necessary things to take to America in respect to clothing and utensils.
 And may God of his infinite mercy help to protect you and yours
Uncle Traubmgin is married to a Mrs. Hunter who keeps the Rail-road Inn.  She has nine children most of them grown up. He does nothing but step about and looks well.  Nora Vale is well she is in the Isle of Man with her step mother’s mother.  William Yale is a complete sot and minds nothing but drink.  His wife is a decent woman.

END

No comments:

Post a Comment