Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Memories of Grandma Bea, by Scott T. Evans

Nancy:  Here are some memories that come to mind when I think of Grandma Bea.  (By Scott Evans)

My memories revolve around the Weber.  Occasionally, we would be invited to go with Grandma and Grandpa and stay with them at their cabin over the weekend.  We would be able to sleep in the loft overlooking the front room.  I remember Grandma Bea’s pancakes in the morning and how well she tolerated my questions about everything.  I remember catching fish and bringing them to her sink.  On one occasion, I was out catching frogs, toads and snakes.  I caught a snake which obviously did not want to be caught because the snake bit me on the thumb and decided not to let go.  So I ran into Grandma’s kitchen with the snake still attached to my thumb.  It was then that I found out that Grandma was not at all fond of snakes.  She told me to “get that thing out of here” immediately.  I remember her telling me not to hold onto the horn of the saddle when riding a horse.  I remember riding with her and Grandpa up to Yellow Lake and back after church.  I remember her telling me stories of when she was a little girl.  I remember her telling me stories of my father and my uncles when they were young.

I remember asking her why she didn’t shut her eyes during some of the prayers (obviously I didn’t either).  She told me that she raised five boys and needed to watch them.  I remember dandelion tea, mint sauce, and lamb chops (which I didn’t like but dad made me eat it anyway).  I remember picking rhubarb.

Like my Grandma Todd, I remember that she always seemed to be “put together.”  She always was dressed well, even in what I would call her work clothes.  I remember a certain “wrap” that I think was a fox.


But for the snake incident, I don’t ever remember a cross word from her.  Finally, I sometimes while I was in our front yard, I remember when she was calling for Grandpa Dave.  She had a certain call for him that I can hear now.  That was one of the benefits of living just down the street.

No comments:

Post a Comment